Logical Logbook

My thoughts are worth billions. My logic will end the world.

Friday, January 16, 2004

I finished Nausea last night and it turned out to be pretty good in the long run. I enjoyed the philosophical aspects of it but their really wasn't much in the action that interested me. Anyway, I found it interesting enough that I tried to look up some more on existentialism.

The problem with existentialism and philosophy in general is that people who write about it choose do so using indecipherable language. I get the feeling a lot of philosophers' philosophy of writing is "If I write in such a manner that's so obtuse that nobody can understand it, people will think I'm smarter than them and they'll say they agree with me so nobody thinks they're stupid." Screw you, obtuse philosophers!

I choose not to fall into their trap. If you have something worth saying, you should say it plainly so that people understand you. It's that simple. I'm a college educated person and somewhat well-read. If I can't understand what you're saying, there's a good seventy-five percent of the population that can't understand you. That makes what you've written at least seventy-five percent worthless. That's an automatic F, if you're in school. You need to retake English 111: Composition for Assholes.

You know, I could go on about this for a good long while but I'm starting to get pissed about it. I'd rather not be pissed so on to the next subject....

Now that I'm done with Nausea, I'm thinking about what I'm going to read next. I'm thinking The Subterraneans by Jack Kerouac but I'm worried that instead of being really good like The Darma Bums it's gonna suck like On the Road. I guess there's only one way to find out.

The Subterraneans is the last of the books my friend Ian gave to my friend Andy to read. Andy had told Ian he was interested in reading more so Ian gave him a bunch of books. Andy, as you would expect if you knew him, read half of Tropic of Cancer and hasn't touched a book since. I've read everything except The Subterraneans. I think the books might have been a bad choice for someone who doesn't read much (though they were all good books). I'm gonna give Andy Fight Club and see if he can sink his teeth into that. It's a quick read and there's a lot of ass-kicking so it's fun.

I'm really struggling on writing my review for this months Crux of the Biscuit. It's gonna turn out really weird and stupid, I hope.

The ham I made yesterday weighed fifteen pounds. Andy and I ate about one pound total. I bought some potatoes today and all I'm gonna eat for the next week is ham and potato's. It's a daunting prospect but one I can live with.

I've started pronouncing potato with a "uh" on the end rather than an "oh." I don't know how this came about. I think I started saying it that way as a joke and it's just crept its way into my ordinary speech. How do you like that? I thought so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home