Logical Logbook

My thoughts are worth billions. My logic will end the world.

Thursday, January 22, 2004

Well, I'm still in Toledo but I'm leaving after dinner tonight. It's not so bad. My dad, at least, isn't screaming mad anymore and he's in Columbus anyway. Free food is good, too.


I finished Foundation last night. I was impressed enough that I decided to go look for the book in the series, Foundation and Empire. The place I wanted to look was this very good used book store called A Novel Idea (Get it? Ha!). I set out with the idea of buying that Foundation novel and God Emperor Dune which is the only of the original Dune series I have yet to read. I ended up with the third book of the Foundation series, Second Foundation (which you would be the title of the second book but isn't) and House Harkonnen one of the Dune prequels that were written by Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert. Since I had to settle, I bought two Kurt Vonnegut novels to cheer myself up, Godbless You, Mr. Rosewater and Cat's Cradle (I think).

By the way, I started reading The Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls, the same guy who wrote Where the Red Fern Grows. It's written for ages ten and up so it means I'm cool to read it as long as I pay attention real good and all. I figured since I liked Where the Red Fern Grows when I was twelve and I also like Nirvana and Tool when I was twelve and I still like Nirvana and Tool, I might still like books by the guy who wrote Where the Red Fern Grows. It's turning out to be OK, I guess. The Summer of the Monkeys is more or less exactly the same as Where the Red Fern Grows except the little boy, supported by his dear old granddad and his faithful dog, are hunting for monkeys that escaped the circus rather than raccoons that didn't escape from anywhere. Since it was written for kids, Rawls didn't use any dialect in his writing to make easier to understand which is really annoying when the main character uses colloquialisms. They come of really flat sounding: "It was as smooth as the handle of my mother's butter churn, good sir."

Anyway, I gotta get crackin' and get my things packed. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home