Logical Logbook

My thoughts are worth billions. My logic will end the world.

Wednesday, December 17, 2003

About a dozen new beers and countless fruitfully unusual conversations later, I've returned from my trip to Chicago. I went with the wonderful Rachel and the unbelievable Liz to visit the inimitable Ian and the lovely Carrie. Good times. Good times.

I'm moving to Chicago. I've determined I'd rather eke out a living in Chicago, play in bands, and write for zines than make a lot of money working for the proverbial man. So I'm going to go to Chicago, eke out a living, play in bands, and write for zines. HA! That was an easy enough decision.

There's no work for me at the shop today so I got to leave. It's nice to be up at nine in the morning with a full day ahead of me. It's not something I do often given that I like to stay up late drinking good beer, reading or just shooting the shit with Andy or whoever else is around.

I feel really sorry for this girl, Erin, who's staying at my house. She's a sweetheart. Maybe not the most educated or well-spoken girl you'll meet but very cute and maybe more than a little sad. She collects dolphins and etched crystals that sit on colored lights. She really loves dolphins. I told her about how I once swam just a few feet away from dolphins in Florida with my mom once and how my mom wouldn't let me get any closer than that. She told me she'd have swum right up to them and splashed around with them. It made her look so happy, so serene it damn near broke my heart. I got the feeling she wanted to grab one of those dolphin's fins and let it pull way out in the ocean, a thousand miles from anything.

Erin, I think, really wants to be a dolphin. She wants to be a dolphin because her boyfriend, Justin who also lives with me, is an asshole and she has no escape from him in her current reality. There's two babies of his making in her belly.

Justin has no respect for her. He dates her because she's pretty--a vagina with two legs, two arms, and two babies in her belly that he'd rather not think about. He won't even acknowledge that there's two of 'em in there despite the findings of a medical professional. "I ain't seen 'em," he says.

This morning, she realized that Justin forgot to bring the splint for broken hand to work, woke up early, and drove all the way to the shop to give it to him. Do you know how he thanked her? "You look like hell." I almost cried it was so sad. Seriously.

What kind of twisted, karmically ignorant god creates a world like this for a sweet young woman like Erin? It's wrong on so many levels it makes your head spin. She's held hostage by two beautiful babies in her womb and the asshole that put 'em in there. Why!? I feel frustrated, impotent even, that I can't think of anyway to help her. I wish she could swim away with those dolphins and have her two babies at sea--two mer-babies that would never repeat her mistakes; never wind up with two babies in their bellies in Marion, Ohio; never be afraid of their boyfriends; never work a frustrating, unfulfilling jobs at Whirlpool; and never be tired, sad, and lonely with a with only a simian brute as their chief confidant.

This is it, world. I'm calling you out. It's time for change and you know it. No putzing around with politics or idealism. No beating around the bush, no religion, no protest, no debate. Change now! Erin has two babies in her belly and both she and them are fucked if you don't. You're killing them, all three. It's wrong, wrong, wrong. So wrong.

We need more people like Andy, my housemate, who helps raise a child that's not even his, the son of some crazy young woman he's no longer romantically involved with who apparently lives to fuck with his head. He doesn't even get laid out of the deal anymore. He loves Wesley, that's the kid's name, so he spends time with him and teaches him. He's a father to him and probably the only one he'll ever know.

Anyway, I should probably get off this crazy tirade train, given that I'm not exactly an activist. I'm not part of the problem but I'm not part of the solution either and that's just as bad. Has the time finally come for this lazy asshole to get off his duff and make a stand? Only time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home