Logical Logbook

My thoughts are worth billions. My logic will end the world.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

A couple months ago I had a rather odd encounter w/ a woman--a little over five feet tall, blonde and middle aged--on my way to work. She stepped in my way, gave me a dirty look and moved to continue blocking me as I tried to walk around her. Eventually, I took my headphones off muttered excuse me or something and managed to get by w/ little further effort. I figured she confused me for someone or was just in a bad mood. I remember noticing she didn't get on the train she was waiting for. It seemed strange but no big deal. You run into people way weirder and scarier all the time on public transit--especially if you ride it as late as I do.

Of course, I wouldn't be telling you all this if I hadn't ran into her again--this time on my way home from work. I already found a seat when she made her entrance shouting "Excuse me! Excuse me!" This is on a train empty enough that a blind man would be hard pressed to run into someone accidentally. From there she proceeded to the front of the car where there's a space where people will put their luggage and sometimes stand when it's crowded during rush hour. She opened the door between cars as if to move on to the next one but she just left it cracked and turned around. "What's your name? Is your name Sue? Is your name Sue or Maryann?" she accused someone at random, pointing generally at a couple of seated women. She turned back to the front and stared out the window at the car ahead of us.

The only strange thing at this point is that I remembered her from the last time I saw her. I seldom recognize anyone I see on the train let alone someone who isn't waiting at the same time w/ me every moring. In the end, this meeting turned out to be somewhat more eventful than the last.

I got up a stop before mine and waited in front of the door. While I stood, I heard her shrill voice, "See this young man? He's a sex pig. He's always following me around. He talks fucking sex inside my head." She was pointing at me.

At this exact moment, the train began slowing and stopped momentarily in between stations. Crap. The last thing I need on my way home is to have to confront some crazy woman who's accusing me of having a voice inside her head.

Luckily, someone else took up my cause. "Why don't you just get away from him?" he asked.

"He knows where I am. He knows where I'm going. He's talking sex inside my head." She said and seemed pretty well convinced it was true. Mercifully, by this point the train had started moving again and my stop was just a moment away. She followed me off the train.

I have to admit to being a little afraid. This woman is considerably smaller than me and really, if it came down to it, I could probably defend myself--having to explain to the police why I just beat up some random woman aside. But crazy people are unpredictable. What if she finds out where I live? What if she has a gun? I walked home faster than normal, checking over my shoulder occasionally to make sure she didn't follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home