Logical Logbook

My thoughts are worth billions. My logic will end the world.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

I just overheard a conversation where somebody said, "I'm gonna get Frank to help me set up my email at home." This is always bad news. Some very basic concepts of electronic communication are lost on them. I can promise you the following things will happen:

There will be at least two freakouts and I will get at least two phone calls here, at least one of which will come about five minutes before I'm about to leave and consist of fifteen minutes of them explaining their problem in utter flabergasted confusion and one minute of me asking for the information I really need (none of which I have gotten in the first fifteen minutes) and telling them what to do.

They will be mad that their email that's already been downloaded and deleter off the server from the computer in their office won't be available to them at home w/o forewarding it to themselves. In some weird, way they blame me and you can tell.

After much ado, their email will work both at home and at work and they will be annoyingly gushing in their thanks. To me the only thanks that counts looks and tastes exactly like a vegetarian burrito.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My Grandma had an e-mail address forever. She was getting spam faster than it could be manually deleted.

    I told her it's time for a new e-mail.

    I setup her new e-mail account. I even wrote out step-by-step instructions for her to make it easier.

    The next day I get a frustrated phone call from her about her e-mail. She says she can only see the e-mail heading information. She doesn't really explain to me what the problem is. I go over there and load the e-mail. The problem was (drum roll): The window she was using to read her e-mail was too small and it cut off everything below the heading. She didn't know how to SCROLL DOWN. So, I made the trip over there to explain the finer points of scrolling down technique.

    Good luck, Frank.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home